If you’re an athlete with type-1 diabetes the words I write here will likely resonate.
I was diagnosed with type-1 diabetes at nine years old. I became a long-distance runner in my 20s, followed by cycling, hiking and dragonboating. That’s when I discovered a HUGE gap in the healthcare system. Resources were lacking: endocrinologists, nurses and dietitians didn’t know how to help me manage my disease with my sport.
I got so frustrated I quit my journalism career to become a registered dietitian specifically for athletes and active people with type-1 diabetes.
I am in the 5th year of the dietetics major at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver. I will be taking the registered dietitian certification exam in November 2020.
This is my journey.
- Bachelor of Science in Food, Nutrition and Health; Major Dietetics, University of British Columbia (pending completion)
- Dietetics Internship, Providence Health Care (pending completion)
- Sport Nutrition Internship with Canadian Sport Institute
- Extensive Literature Review: Nutrition for Type-1 Diabetes in Endurance Sport
- Presenter, Connected in Motion Virtual Slipstream, Nutrition for T1D in Sport, 2020
- Presenter, Canadian Sport Institute, Nutrition for T1D in Sport, 2019
- Presenter, University of British Columbia Kinesiology and Nutrition Departments, T1D in sport, 2018
- Member, Diabetes Canada Professional Sector, BC Chapter
- Eat Right Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, completed the four-week course, Weight Neutral for Diabetes Care Counselling and Professional Symposium
- Journalism diploma, Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Black Press: Newspaper Journalist, 11 years
- Portland Marathon
- Run for Water Marathon
- Vancouver Scotiabank Half Marathon x 2
- Nike Run for Women Half Marathon
- Vancouver First Half Half Marathon
- Good Life Fitness Toronto Half Marathon
- Bellingham Bay Half Marathon
- Fairhaven Waterfront 15K
- Medtronic TC 10 Mile
- Vancouver Eastside 10 km
- Vancouver Hot Chocolate 10 km x 3
- Jog for the Bog 10 km
- Abbotsford Police Challenge 10 km
- West Van Run 10 km
- Vancouver Sun Run 10 km x 3
- Mec 10 km
- Living the Dream Fondo
- Resolution Run 5 km x 2
- Blue Shore Financial Longest Day 5 km
- Vancouver Run for Women 5 km